Saturday, June 18, 2011

Nova Scotia…exactly where is Nova Scotia??

You know those postcards that you find stuck in the middle of magazines giving you about 160 options to receive more information on a specific topic?  Yeah, the ones that if you check one little box, you get flooded with enough junk mail to give your mail carrier a hernia? 


Well about 5 years ago, I selected rural Prince Edward Island as a place I’d like to visit.  Prince Edward Island - the birthplace of the “Anne of Green Gables” books that were written by Lucy Maud Montgomery.  Never heard of them?  Well, they are delightful…if you’re a girl. 


Anyway, they have a very efficient tourist agency because they promptly sent me about twelve pounds of materials that were filled with such grand scenery that I’ve become fascinated with the place.  In the course of planning our trip, I’m looking for unique destinations in the northeast of the continent, and whadaya know...Prince Edward Island pops into the view finder.  (I have a "Places I Want to Visit Before I Die” List  and PEI was holding about 4th place.)    
So, I sez to Donald this evening, “Hey, while we’re headed up to Maine to visit family and friends – how ‘bout making a little jog up to Prince Edward Island?”  My hubby doesn’t usually get that, “Are you insane?” look on his face (and living with me you’d think he'd have it down pat) but his stare is focused on me as he mutes the ballgame and says, “That’s a bit more than a jog.” 
Me, whose favorite class was English – NOT Geography, says, “Well it can’t be that far…it’s only a little up and to the right of Maine.”   Then I get out the map.   
Do you have any idea how close to the Ends of the Earth this Prince Edward Island really is???  It makes Vermont look like the Deep South!  After charting how many “inches” it is on my trusty Michelin Map – I realize that it’s about a two day drive there (in the Three Danes Inn) and another two days back to his family home in Southwest Vermont. 
Enlightening Donald with my newly discovered geography skills, he gives me an “Uh-huh” and goes back to his ballgame, leaving me still marveling at how far “up” it is on the globe.  Geez, if you thought shoveling snow in Buffalo was tough, imagine these folks, they must have stock in snow-blowers and rock salt! 
So, I guess we’re not going to PEI on THIS trip, but Donald assures me it’s still on “the list.” Then what I see flicker across his face is that “Thank God, another crisis averted” look as he settles back into the couch with Rose’e on his lap and the volume is back up on the ballgame...top of the 8th and the Mariners are up two.   
Pencil into future trip planning…Prince Edward Island – in SUMMER ONLY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment